marine-catches-baby-from-window-of-burning-building
Acts of Kindness

Marine Catches Baby From Window Of Burning Building

June 8th, 2018

When a fire broke out in an Anderson, South Carolina apartment complex, a mother was forced to make a choice she never thought she’d have to make.

Luckily that mother had a former marine as a neighbor who would make sure that her choice was the right one.

As the flames started raging through her apartment building, the mother had to make a quick decision to throw her 11-month-old boy out of a second-story window to escape the flames.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Twitter Screenshot Source: Twitter Screenshot

Assistant Fire Chief Michael Guest told Independent Mail that the woman’s neighbor was there to catch the baby. The neighbor, who was a former marine, refused to give his name.

He didn’t want any praise or recognition for his role in saving the baby.

“He said he just did what he had to do,” Guest said.

The baby suffered from a few scratches and bruises but was otherwise safe and sound after the fall. The baby’s mother jumped to safety from the second-story window after her baby reached safety.

swiggle1 dot pattern2
Independent Mail Source: Independent Mail

“It was definitely unintentional,” Travis Poore, a spokesman for the Anderson Fire Department, said. “We are so glad that the baby was gotten out without significant injuries. This could have been much, much worse. We are grateful that it wasn’t.”

The fire broke out at Ashford Cove apartment complex, formerly known as Cobblestone Apartments, on Miracle Mile Drive around 8 p.m.

Multiple fire trucks responded to the blaze and about 16 city firefighters were deployed to the scene.

It was started by unattended cooking in one of the units. The fire ripped through building 12 and gutted one apartment. Three nearby apartments suffered severe water and smoke damage.

[imgsrc caption=”Independent Mail” link=”https://www.independentmail.com/story/news/2018/06/05/firefighters-responding-fire-anderson-apartment-complex/675652002/”

Thanks to the quick thinking of a neighbor, no one was injured in the blaze. Anderson Police Department Capt. Mike Aikens told Independent Mail that the two people closest to the blaze were unharmed.

Eight people were displaced as a result of the fire.

“Our primary concern is helping them and getting them back into a place to live as quickly as we can,” said Penny Flynn, the apartment complex’s manager. “We want to do whatever we can to help them.”

Residents of the complex said they were happy that no one was injured during the fire.

“We don’t know much except that the fire started on the top floor and we were in a bottom unit,” said resident Sheila Hudson. “I’m just grateful that we all are OK. We have a lot of smoke damage in our unit, but some of my neighbors lost even more than we did.”

The footage of the baby being thrown from the window was captured on video. You can watch the incredibly intense scene as flames consume one side of the building in the video below.

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Source: NBC News

Advertisement