Few writers have had as profound an impact on children as Dr. Seuss has had on generation after generation of kids. His witticisms, more often rhyming than not, have an uncanny way of summing up really complex ideas in ways that both young and old can understand and learn from.
Since the 1950’s Theodore Seuss Geisel had inspired children and adults alike to be brave, compassionate and honest. With his poetic writing, unique illustrations and imbedded life lessons he has stimulated the minds of millions if not billions.
Here are a list of some of his best quotes. There’s something in there for everybody!
1. “To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.”
This quote is an essential reminder that to someone out there, you are the most special person in the world. No matter how worthless or helpless you may feel, you are important. Dr. Seuss asks us to remember that.
2. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory.”
Too often in life, we don’t realize how blessed we are, or what a good situation we’re in until we gain the privilege of retrospect. With a little hindsight, we can see what those moments truly mean.
3. “I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
Those who can day dream get a head-start in the race to brilliance. You have to dream big if you ever wish to do big things and make a difference in the world. A little daylight fantasy never hurt anybody.
4. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
One of life’s great tricks is that quite often, when it feels like the odds are stacked against us, and that our problems are all knotted together, sometimes the answer is right in front of your eyes. Confusion can make you feel like the answer is complicated, although it may just be that the answer is easier than the question.
5. “You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…”
This line from “Oh the Places You’ll Go” reminds us that in the end, we are the masters of our own fate. Remember, look to yourself for the guidance you need. Nobody else can tell you where you want to head in life, only you can make that decision.
6. “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
While the phrase “Youer than you” may not be strictly the correct verbiage, it is a reminder that it’s essential to be true to ourselves both inwardly and outwardly. Don’t live a lie for anyone else’s sake. If you don’t live your truth, nobody will do it for you.
7. “Read. Travel. Read. Ask. Read. Learn. Read. Connect. Read.”
While this may be a predictable adage coming from an author, Dr. Seuss reminds us to keep on reading. Reading is a window to knowledge, adventure and understanding of the human condition. Without the constant and powerful stimulating power of reading, it’s all too easy for our minds to wither away.
8. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
Especially in times like this, we need to remember that without people out there pushing for change, it will never come. If something isn’t right in the world, it’s the responsibility of it’s inhabitants to fix it. You just have to care a whole awful lot.
9. “Be who you are and say what you feel because the ones who mind don’t matter, and the ones who matter don’t mind.”
As Seuss reminds us to live our truths, he also reminds us to express it in the world. The disapproval of others only matters as much as you care about it. Don’t let anybody keep you from authenticity.
10. “I’m afraid that sometimes you’ll play lonely games too. Games you can’t win ’cause you’ll play against you.”
Here we’re reminded to stop ourselves from becoming our own biggest enemies. There are so many adversaries out there in the world, that the last thing we should be doing is isolating ourselves and playing games against ourselves. We just can’t win them.
11. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
Once again, Dr. Seuss is telling us not to be afraid to stand out from the crowd. We don’t need to fly under the radar, never being noticed. You don’t need to go out of your way to prove that you’re unique, just don’t be afraid of other people thinking you’re different to them.
12. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
This is a key thing to remember, that when a good thing ends there are two ways to move forward. You can either mourn the loss of it, focussing only on its absence, or you can be grateful that you had a good thing. Think holistically about these gifts in life, even when we lose them .
13. “Think and wonder, wonder and think.”
Just as Theodore Geisel reminds us to stay daydreaming, he also encourages us to stay mentally engaged in the world around us. Ponder your surroundings, your society and the people around you. Keep thinking, keep wondering and the secrets of your world will begin to unravel themselves.
14. “So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s A Great Balancing Act.”
Don’t forget, that life is all about maintaining balance. As we move through it, we need to stay on our path and be careful about how we place our feet. Placing our feet wrongly could mean falling.
15. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
Perhaps one of Seuss’s most important messages is to remember that everybody is worthy of equal treatment. If someone has less agency or power than you, that doesn’t make them deserving of any lesser treatment.
What is your favorite Dr. Seuss quote?
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.
Join your friends or be the first to like our page